The Ed in the Community
Community & Service groups involvement
The Edinburgh Management actively supports a number of local service groups by offering premises for weekly, fortnightly and monthly meetings with no room hire charges and very reduced prices for meals and drinks. Each year management presents a “break even” costing for the service clubs.The owners believe that a “not for profit” policy with these service groups is a very community spirited and productive way of helping hundreds of locals and their surrounding communities.
These Clubs include:
• Rotary Club of Mitcham (weekly meetings)
• Rotary Club of Brownhill Creek (weekly meetings)
• Mitcham Lions Club (bi-weekly meetings)
• St Mary’s Probus (monthly lunches)
• ALP sub branch
• Liberal Party
• Mitcham Historical Society
2013-14 Donations to local schools and Old Scholar Associations
The Edinburgh management work closely with school staff and administrators to co-ordinate a variety of functions including reunions, speech nights, Foundation events, class get-togethers and staff conferences.
Again, no room hire is charged and a number of prizes are always donated (whether it be wine or café vouchers to help with their raffles, quiz nights etc).
These schools include:
Unley High School
Mitcham Girls High
Urrbrae Agricultural High School
Highgate Primary School
Mitcham Primary School
Westbourne Park Primary School
St John’s Grammar School
Waite InstituteSeymour College
St Therese School
St Joseph Primary School
Concordia Old Collegians Cricket Club
Eden Hills Primary School
Charity Event & Other Service Group Involvement
In addition to the Service Clubs and the local schools the hotel has a wide variety of charity groups it supports. Donations of wines and vouchers are given to regular customers, the local community and charities that are raising funds for charitable causes both in Australia and overseas.
Both the owners are heavily involved with the SA Variety Club and many donations and general support is given to this organization annually. As well as providing the food, a team of Ed staff and regular customers volunteer their time to cook and serve meals on the annual Variety Bash. The Ed is a sponsors of the Variety Club golf day, and many prizes are donated for raffles throughout the year.
The Hotel is a major sponsor of Car 22 (The Penguins!) which has been the highest fundraising car over the past three years.
As with many other hotels in South Australia, the Salvation Army collects here every Friday evening.
Other donations have been made in the form of vouchers, wine or money to the following groups:
• Miroma Residential Care
• The Guide Dogs of SA
• Rotary Club of Adelaide
• Sturt Police
• SA Police
• Mission in Action
• Mitcham R.S.L
• MS Foundation
• Salvation Army
• Ronald McDonald House
• SA School for Vision Impaired
• Honks-Women’s & Children’s Hospital Foundation
• Sammy D Foundation
• Victorian Bushfire Appeal
• Brown Hill Creek Rotary Golf Day
• Cancer Council
• Edwardstown Primary School Strawberry Fair
The Ed also sponsors a number of community sports groups, some are through major sponsorships and others through quiz night donations:
• Mitcham Football Club - The Mighty Hawkes! We are one of their major sponsors.
• El Salvador - the best basket ball team this side of Princes Road!
• Scotch College Old Collegians Soccer Club
• Scotch College Old Scholars Cricket Club
• Hawthorn Bowling Club
• Sturt baseball Club
• Scotch College Old Scholars Football Club - The Rampant Lions
• McLaren Vale Wine Show
• Clare valley Wine Show
• Mitcham Institute Arts and Craft Society
• Mitcham Historical Society (members of and make donations)
• SA Squash Juniors
• Mitcham Council –Carols By the Creek